Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Welcome to Andrea Johns and her incredible life story Like Dandelions in the Wind

 


Welcome to author Andrea Johns and her incredible story!

I am a wife, a mother, a grandmother and recently a great grandmother… and now they tell me I am an author at 71.

It has been a very long hard road for me, with my limited education, but I persevered and I did it, if I can do this, anyone can. 

I grew up with a father who would not stay in one place longer than a year or two. I am sure he had Gypsy blood running through his veins.

He was a chef, a barber, dabbled in the occult, a con artist, a fortune-teller, a medium…, but above all, he was a loveable larrikin. My mother on the other hand was a very religious, quiet, hard working woman. The complete opposite to my father. 

I was born in Cyprus and so were my grandparents and parents, arriving in Australia on my first birthday. Cyprus is a beautiful Mediterranean Island situated between Egypt, Greece, Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey Many invaders, settlers and immigrants have come to Cyprus over the centuries. Many have tried taking it for themselves. and as recent as 1974 Turkey, who managed to take half of the Island. Unfortunately, we were there in 1974 and experienced it firsthand. You can read all about in the second part of my book. 

Therefore, torn between my rich cultural roots, growing up in Australia and living with my very diverse parents, I had to learn to adapt and survive the best I could.

My childhood was certainly unique. My education came from real-life scenarios. Growing up in Australia with my lovable rascal of a father was always an adventure, for me. For my mother, on the other hand, she went through hell.

I would often relate my stories to friends and workmates. I lost count of how many times I heard the words, 'you should write a book’. I could never have imagined I would actually write a book! I did however, decide to jot down my memories on the many trains and busses travelling to and from work, over 30 years ago. Over the years, I filled many small note pads.  I then put them away and forgot all about them.

They surfaced again when I received my first second-hand computer about 14 years ago. I started to transfer my memories onto a word document. Unbelievably, I lost all my hard work a couple of times, before someone taught me to save my work to external drives.

After writing over 198,000 words, with the help of an editing program and my lovely daughter. I managed to get it up to a standard where I could publish it. My story now is a two-part book and I am so very excited to share my life with you all. I hope you find my crazy life an interesting read. Like a Dandelion in the Wind is based on a real story. My story! 

https://www.facebook.com/likeadandelioninthewind/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55576618-like-a-dandelion-in-the-wind

https://likeadandelioninthewind.godaddysites.com

https://australianauthors.store/andrea-johns/


Was there a person who encouraged you to write?

There were many people, over the 30 years since I started to jot down my memories, that encouraged me to write. It actually took me 14 years to get it to publication at the age of 70. Friends, workmates, family all encouraged me to write my story. However, the biggest encouragement came from my daughter. Every time I felt like giving up, she kept me focused. She would remind me that I was not a quitter.

What would you say are your strengths as an author?

Determination to finish telling my story, the ability to remember things that happened to me from a very young age, not giving up on my dream.

How often do you write, and do you write using a strict routine?

No I did not have a strict routine, over the 14 years from when I started to actually write my story on a word document, I would write continuously for a week or so and then not go anywhere near it for weeks or months at a time. 

Five years from now, where do you see yourself as a writer?

I am actually in the middle of writing another book based on my paranormal experiences. Hopefully, I will finish this one in a lot less time. I cannot see myself as a full-time writer, but who knows. Five years from now is a long time.  

If you could offer one piece of advice to a novice writer, what would it be?

Jot your ideas or memories down as soon as they come to you. I filled countless note pads on trains and busses to and from work, for many years before I sat down to write. The most important this is to never give up on your dreams, never!

What would you consider to be the best compliment a reader could give your book?

“I could not put your book down, from the minute I read the first page”

 

LIKE A DANDELION IN THE WIND

Andrea endured many hardships in her life while travelling around Australia with her lovable rascal of a father. She was taught cunningness, survival, love, gambling, hunting and fishing, unlike any education you get from sitting in a classroom. Taken out of school at barely 13, she lost count of how many schools she attended in her mere 5 years of education. Engaged at15,married at 16 and a mother at 17. War and the traumatic birth of her second child only made her stronger. Evacuated to London, she spent two harrowing years trying to return to her beloved Australia. Once back, she fought the biggest battle of her life, saving her children from an evil spirit. You will, laugh, be amazed and sometimes a little frightened as you travel with the dandelion seeds, through the pages of this beautiful book.

Like A Dandelion In The Wind is available as an e-book and paperback.

From the following links: 

https://australianauthors.store/andrea-johns/

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B096GWJHJP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_CVFX3ZS0ES9YHFMNBBK2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.facebook.com/likeadandelioninthewind/ 

What Andrea’s readers have to say:

Such a wonderful book! A light-hearted easy read.
Andrea’s journey through life will have you laughing and crying throughout, as you travel this journey with her x ~ 
Hayley A

Andrea is an amazing woman and reading her life story has made me realise why. 

Like a dandelion in the wind is a really enjoyable read. You will laugh, cry and be amazed at the extraordinary life that Andrea and her family have lived.

Thoroughly recommend this book for anyone who knows Andrea. I couldn’t put it down from the moment I read the first page. ~ Jo W

From the first initial meeting with Andrea, I knew she was an incredible individual.

Reading her magnificent book that outlines her life story only confirms what a magnificent daughter, wife, Mother, Grandmother and friend that she truly is...
highly recommend reading the book. 
🙏 ~ Betty D

Like A dandelion in the wind, Found the book full of interesting stories. Enjoyed reading during the cold winter nights. This book was full of surprises found myself as one of the characters (Patrice). Have the pleasure of knowing Andrea for most of my life and she has been an inspiration to me...love her dearly. Still think of her as my Snow White! ~ Patricia S


I have just finished one of the best novels I have read in a long time. There was not a point I wanted to put it down. I was so eager to find out what happened next in Andrea's bright astonishing life. what an amazing read it has been. what a beautiful strong inspirational women Andrea is and it is depicted well in her novel. I absolutely admire her strength. what a wonderful read. Highly recommended. ~ Mary U


What a wonderful story Andrea has written about her amazing life. I first met Andrea when I was eight years old, and thought she was the most beautiful little lady I had ever seen. So to read about her life, her loves and her adventures was fascinating. I loved this book about her well-lived life, and I thank her for sharing it, and may she continue to enjoy the spoils. I hope someday Andrea gets her kisses on the beach. ~ Helen D 

Andrea! Wow, what an amazing read. Once I started reading your book I didn’t want to put it down. I have known you for at least 35 years and have only heard snippets of your life experiences. As I was reading your book I felt like I was by your side living them with you. I felt your joy, grief, pain, frustrations and fears. I commend for your resilience, strength, perseverance and unconditional love for your family throughout your journey. Your mother was a beautiful soul and I now have an even greater respect for her and the sacrifice she made for her family, she would be so proud of you. ~ Anna G

 I've just finished reading this book, Andrea has had an amazing life and I recommend her book to anyone who likes a good read. Knowing Andrea is a pleasure, and I could hear her words as though she was reading the book to me. Congratulations x ~ Barb M

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/