Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Got an interesting opportunity yesterday:  To be a reader for my agent and check out other people's queries and first three chapters! The good news is, it was a real eye opener. For anyone worried about me stealing their ideas, have no fear. I have too many ideas of my own rolling around in my head!! I am, however, looking forward to reading for her again one day.

Aside from that, I am busy as always. Deja Vu is in its final edits. Just printed off a copy today so I can go over it with my fine toothed comb. I'm a lot more excited about Deja Vu than I am about The Bookstore Lady even, that's how much I've learned in my last year with my agent!

I had lunch with two great writing friends yesterday. One of them asked what I planned to do once Deja Vu was out the door. I told her I'd keep working on the next book. She said I should slow down and work on short stories or something different. Trust me, the next book IS different. Still a murder, actually two so far, but more of a cozy mystery than Deja Vu. More details to follow when I get them all nailed down.

My other friend has struggled with writing "just the right thing." She says I am like the woman at a baby shower who gets pregnant with ease where as her friends who are not able to as easily. Ideas come easy to me. I am constantly in motion, constantly priming the well from where those ideas flow. Things DON'T always come easy. Sometimes I struggle, too. The difference is, I always have a plan B. There is always something on the back burner.

In art classes, I was told to never have more than one piece on the go at a time. Too much distraction. Apparently ADHD is my middle name. I thrive on distraction and chaos. The more chaotic, the harder I have to work to focus and make things work. I guess that's why I like the job I currently have more than working at a bank. Banks are repetitive. Working in a karate school - never the same day twice!

Okay, cat's out of the bag. I work in a karate school so guess where my next novel is set?

Yup. Let's go kill off some samurai...

1 comment:

  1. Really like the INK for All tool. Its dark mode really helps me stay focused. I’ve noticed a jump in my output. I thought I might let others know about it here http://bit.ly/2DWi1K9

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/