Saturday, August 21, 2021

Round Robin Blog Fest August 21 - Favorite Words

 


I'm back with another fun Round Robin Blog Fest! This month's question is:

Do you have any character habits or favorite words that always crop up in your writing?

Since I've been writing a non-fiction writing book lately, my thoughts went a totally different way to words and habits I tend to overuse.

I had to laugh when a friend read one of my earlier books and commented how there was a lot of nostril flaring. Nostril flaring and eye rolling are two of my biggest, most overused reactions for characters. Apparently, I must do a lot of both in real life.


Sighing is another reaction I tend to overuse. In one of my books I was doing a first edit on, I gave up counting the number of sighs. I should have done a search when I plugged my edits into the computer. I think there would have been at least three per page.


I’ve also had characters groan several times on a page. Some of the time I plug them into a rough draft with the intention of going back and replacing them with something better and…sometimes I forget.


Just and very pop up often, too. So does A LOT, which I’ve already used three times in this blog!


Speaking of overused, I went back and did a quick edit and got rid of four exclamation marks. I did leave one for effect, but the others were far from necessary. One of my first editors used to constantly rap my knuckles for using them more than once per book. I have snuck a couple more in there lately when the situation calls for them.


Nice. “It’s a nice day.” What does that mean? Nice is one of those words that can be used by a character but really doesn’t say anything. I try hard to elaborate while going through edits.


We all tend to do comparisons and sometimes like can get a real workout. “The puddles were like tiny oceans to the bugs that bounced with every raindrop.” If you’re writing those sorts of comparative sentences several times a chapter, your readers will start to notice. One way to get around that is to add more description of the item instead of likening it to something else.


Actually, I think I overuse actually a great deal, too. The good thing is this is one word I actually delete when I go through my first round of edits. Unless it’s actually needed by a character, I automatically cross it out.


One issue I tend to have lately is dialogue tags. I’ve gone from many “said” and “asked” to action tags. And I got called out for it by a big league author. I’ll be much more careful going forward.


Being an author there’s a real learning curve. Just when you think you’ve figured things out and are following the “rules”, someone points out a bad habit that you never even noticed. That’s when we roll our eyes and sigh before we actually make a lot of changes…


If you haven't seen my newest release, introducing:



 
An explosion leaves a gaping hole in the streetscape where the Nine Lives Consignment Shop and the former martial arts school once stood. When police find remains of a bomb inside, Gilda Wright needs to track a killer before her suspects scatter like debris.


Check it out at: https://books2read.com/Dead-Without-Remorse


Also be sure to check out our wonderful authors:

Anne Stenhouse http://annestenhousenovelist.wordpress.com

Skye Taylor http://www.skye-writer.com/blogging_by_the_sea

Victoria Chatham http://www.victoriachatham.com

Connie Vines http://mizging.blogspot.com/

Beverley Bateman http://beverleybateman.blogspot.ca/

Dr. Bob Rich https://wp.me/p3Xihq-2ow

Fiona McGier http://www.fionamcgier.com/

Helena Fairfax http://www.helenafairfax.com/blog

Judith Copek http://lynx-sis.blogspot.com/

Rhobin Courtright http://www.rhobincourtright.com


11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed you post, Diane. I had to chuckle. Even though in real life everyone has habits. We expect our characters to be 'less' boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Both entertaining and instructive," he said, flaring his nostrils. Um... I don't think I have ever done that, but promise to stand in front of a mirror and practice.
    The process you describe is approximately spot on.
    :)
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gone through most of the processes you describe but your humor is much better than mine, and my characters also have some of the same habits. As Bob said, "spot on."

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.blogger.com/profile/02064028734034371341
    Being an author there's a real learning curve - very true and often seems endless. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this is a redundant comment, I apologize. I thought I commented but it disappeared. I think your list should be part of every author's "Find" list for the first edit - either find and remove or replace. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post. I reognize many of the same over-used words and phrases as you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Connie, Yes, me too. I notice you mention sighing which I omitted in my post. However, I do have people sighing and also 'remembering to breathe'. Breathing is of course non-volitional in normal circs so I once thought 'remembering to breathe' would indicate shock/heightened emotion etc. So did many others... Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Diane. Got ahead of myself in post reading this morning - hence the wrong name. anne, deep sigh.

      Delete
  8. Great post! I always have my share of "justs" and "very" to purge. Didn't know about the one exclamation point per book. I try not to overuse them, but, well, it happens. I'll be careful in the future. So many rules, written and unwritten. One good thing about writing is that the writer is ALWAYS learning. If we knew everything, would it be boring? I'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's no such thing as a perfect piece of writing. No matter how well-written, it can ALWAYS be improved. That's the beauty of editing as a process. It burnishes off the rough edges and makes the story shine. I used to hate it--thinking that every word I wrote was like my child. Now I know that I may be a good writer, but I definitely need a good editor or two or three--to improve things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now wash your hair with the Old Style Aloe Rid Shampoo; this will further clean your scalp and soothe any inflammation. Repeat shampooing your hair and rinse it off. Add a few drops of the Tide detergent to your hair and start scrubbing.. Make sure you have goggles on, particularly on this step, as you do not want to get detergent in your eyes. Lastly, take a sigh of relief because you have reached the final step of washing your hair. Using the Zydot Ultra Clean Shampoo, lather your hair with this product and, of course, rinse it out. Now pat yourself on the shoulder because you got through all of that scrubbing like a champ, but it is not over until you repeat this entire method at least three times. If you are a chronic drug consumer, you might even have to try it up to seven times. Make sure to plan the last round of Macujo a few hours before the test. Hence, your test report cannot identify cannabinoids It needs to cleanse the hair completely while not damaging the precious strands being washed Despite the different ways in which drugs can be used (smoking, snorting, injecting, pills, etc These drinks merely mask the presence of drug metabolites by artificially adding vitamins and proteins to our urine in order to show an outwardly reduced THC level Hand Warmers There are hand warmers that can keep the warmth of a sample for at least 18 hours Therefore, it is best to plan ahead

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/