Sunday, May 17, 2020

Victoria Chatham is back with His Unexpected Muse



Welcome back to the lovely and talented Victoria Chatham!


Victoria Chatham’s tag line History, Mystery, and Love says it all. She is a history buff, especially of the Regency era, adds a little mystery into her novels and seals them with a loving happy ever after ending. She is active in her local writing community but when not writing enjoys the great outdoors, especially if it includes playing around with horses. She lives near Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

What would you say are your strengths as an author?
Firstly, I mostly write historical romance, especially Regency romance so in the first place I write what mostly appeals to me. It is where I am happiest and think that automatically lends itself to stronger writing. Next, I would have to say characterization. All my heroines tend to be strong women in their way, or ways in which they can be, given the strictures of Regency society. I like to balance their characters with that of the men in their lives. Setting is also something I find fairly easy to write about, as is dialogue. My weakest component of writing is narrative, which is where I have to work the hardest to link my scenes together.

How often do you write, and do you write using a strict routine?
I try to write something every day. If I am actively writing a book, then I write every day, Monday to Friday and sometimes on the weekend depending on what I’m doing socially. At the moment, with most people in lockdown, I thank goodness I have something with which to fill my time and occupy my mind. I wouldn’t say I have a strict routine, maybe more an organized one. I like a clear desk, apart from a notebook and pen, and I do like to have complete quiet when I write.

Five years from now, where do you see yourself as a writer?
In five years, I will be, unbelievably, 81 years old! I find it hard to comprehend the age I am now, but I would still expect to be writing something. To me, there is a huge differential between the number of years a person has under their belt and how they deal with that. Some people let themselves get old while others don’t give it a thought. I think I fall in the latter group. As long as I have stories to tell, I’ll just keep writing them.

If you could offer once piece of advice to a novice writer, what would it be?
I taught Introductory Creative Writing for several years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of encouraging novice writers. My one piece of advice to every one of them was to keep writing, whether for their own satisfaction or ultimately publication.
What would you consider to be the best compliment a reader could give your book?
That they enjoyed it. I have a fan letter which I received after the release of my first Regency romance, His Dark Enchantress, which I framed. In part – you took me into a pub where I could see the beer stains on the tables and smell the tobacco smoke in the rafters.

What are you working on now?
I have started a new series entitled Those Regency Belles. I’m moving away from lords and ladies and telling stories of slightly classy young ladies. The first is called Hester Dymock and will be released in September 2020. There may be a lord or two involved throughout the series, but I felt that for my heroines being untitled gave them a bit more scope as to what they may be able to do or get away with doing.




His Unexpected Muse: Berkeley Square series Book 3
When Lady Olivia Darnley is seemingly abandoned by her mother, she accepts the assistance of a stranger, Lady Skeffington, who offers her a position as a companion, much to her son’s dismay.
Lord Peter Skeffington is not at all pleased that his mother has chosen to not only take Lady Olivia under her wing, but her dog, too. Despite his reservations, he finds in Olivia a shared interest in books and begins to look for her daily until he faces the uncomfortable realization that he is in love with her.
Still hurt by her mother’s disappearance and desperate to find her, Olivia relies more and more on Peter’s support but a shocking betrayal by the man she has come to trust and love, shatters her new-found happiness. Will Peter manage to overcome the rift that he has unwittingly caused between them? Will Olivia accept not only his apology but also his proposal of marriage? Is there a future for this apparently mismatched pair?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/