Saturday, July 25, 2020

Round Robin Blog Fest July 25


Hope you're all keeping cool this summer! 
It's a hot summer here in Southern Ontario. I've been going for walks early in the morning and gardening in the evening if it cools off at all. I'm luck to get to hang out on the shores of Georgian Bay some weekends as well, which sure helps to beat the heat!

Today's question for our Round Robin Blog Fest is:  
How do you develop a character who is different in personality from all the other characters you have developed, or from yourself?

Hoo boy! Do I have a character for this one!
I'm not sure where Enid Walsh who appears in my novel All That Sparkles came from, but I do know who inspired her. Way back when, I worked in a bank. If you want to see a parade of characters, a bank can be a good place to be. Banks, coffee shops, and grocery stores...

One day while I was at work this woman came in that I can still picture to this day!
She was tall and heavy set wearing a bright yellow dress and the thickest blue eye shadow I've ever seen. She also carried a small purse dog and had a voice that carried to the four corners of the building, which was important when she announced that she really needed to pumice her feet because they looked awful in her sandals. Fortunately, she didn't just tell everyone about her feet once or twice, but several times. It was very hard not to laugh.

So how does Enid fit into this? 

Enid Walsh is a seventy-something gossip columnist in Glitter Bay who takes liberties with the truth and follows Laken Miller in All That Sparkles like a moth after wool. She is bold in appearance and in everything else she does. She also doesn't do anything for someone else without a price.


An older woman wearing a wide-brimmed purple hat and a pale violet cardigan over a faded red blouse took a few timid steps inside. She reminded me of Sammy when I’d first found him. Nervous and unsure.
Sammy took a few quick sniffs and gave a low growl.
“Stop that.” I held him tighter. “I’m sorry. He’s never like that with anyone.”
Not that I knew of anyway.
Blue curls beneath the woman’s hat. Not grey-blue, but a bold robin’s egg. Her gaze darted around the room like she was either searching for or afraid of something. Or someone.
Since Gill still hadn’t returned, I took a deep breath. “Can I help you?”
“That depends.” She eyed both Sammy and me. “Do you work here?”
My face grew warm. “Well, no, but Gill’s busy.”
“I see.” Her shoulders lowered an inch. “I heard a rumor that Tilly…”
I didn’t know what to say.
“She’s not here.” Gill snarled behind me. “What do you want, Enid? You know you’re banned from setting foot in here.”
I raised my eyebrows just as Sammy leaped from my arms and nearly pulled the leash from my hand. When he ran toward Enid, I stopped him short. Rude, but effective.
“I’m fully aware of my standing around here.” She straightened her purple hat, puffed her chest and stood straighter. “I heard of Tilly’s passing and simply wanted to extend my condolences.”
Sammy ignored the taut leash and crept closer to Enid’s blue leather shoes.
“You don’t simply do anything,” Gill said. “What do you want?”
She pursed her pale pink lips. “Is it true she was murdered?”
“Get out.” His face reddened as he threw a teacup in her direction.
With the grace of a dancer, Enid stepped aside to narrowly miss a hit to the shoulder. The cup shattered on the floor, which made Sammy run around and wind his leash around my ankles.
“Gill, stop that!” I tried to lunge toward him, but the leash bound my legs. I stumbled forward with no idea what to do next.

 Click on the image for buy links
Click on the image for buy links!
I do hope you'll stop by to meet Enid, Laken, Sage, Sammy, and the rest of the gang in Glitter Bay!
You can also check out these amazing authors and see who their interesting characters are:

Fiona McGier http://www.fionamcgier.com
Diane Bator http://dbator.blogspot.ca/
Anne Stenhouse  http://annestenhousenovelist.wordpress.com/
Skye Taylor http://www.skye-writer.com/blogging_by_the_sea
Connie Vines http://mizging.blogspot.com/
Dr. Bob Rich https://wp.me/p3Xihq-1Y4
Helena Fairfax http://www.helenafairfax.com/blog
Beverley Bateman http://beverleybateman.blogspot.ca/
Rhobin L Courtright http://www.rhobincourtright.com


6 comments:

  1. Enid sounds like a hoot. I agree watching people in public places is a great place to get ideas for characters, sometimes just informing or reinforcing how a particular character might behave - a teenager for instance is more likely to stride into the living room and flop down on the couch than to glide regally and lower herself gracefully. But it also gives you great ideas for characters with vivid visuals like Enid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Skye's comments. People watching not only lets you study personalities, but how everyone behaves in certain situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great scene, Diane. I like waiting rooms as a people watchung venue. Disparate people and usually under some kind of stress. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious. None of the four people are laughing (I am including the perceptive little dog), but your presentation is great.

    I also know people like your Enid. The whole world becomes their enemy, through no fault of theirs (the whole world's).

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved your post, and Enid. Hilarious! And great list for people watching - hadn't thought of bank tellers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know which comes first--being an author, or being a people-watcher. But they definitely go together! I love to people my books with characters who are a combination of so many I've seen or imagined.

    Funny excerpt.

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/