Sunday, September 20, 2020

Nicole Thorne talks about her novel Chasing Butterflies



Welcome to debut author Nicole Thorne!


I was very lucky to get to read Chasing Butterflies and add my own review:
When tragedy strikes her mother, Helen, Hope runs away from the beautiful Cornish town of Port Merdow to build her own life. She becomes a respected architect with a loving husband until problems in her life drive her back home. In order to move on with her life, she needs to come face to face with her past to find peace.
Thorne has written an intriguing novel that I found hard to put down. The only thing that could have made it better was a good edit but my heart went out to Hope and all she endured.
Diane

Nicole Thorne lives on the North-West of England with her husband Sean and her children. She is a former teacher who now owns and runs a tea room.
Nic has always had a passion for developing characters and stories. In her younger days she wrote plays for the other children in the street to perform. In junior school she won a competition with a play she wrote. In high school she brought her English teacher to tears with a story about bullying.
Nic's writing focuses on the emotions of the situations. Her debut novel Chasing Butterflies is a very emotional journey with twists, turns and ups and downs along the way.
Nic is currently working on a prequel to "Chasing Butterflies" called "The China Doll".


Tell us about your life outside of writing.
Outside of writing I have quite a busy life. I have four children, but two of them are grown up so don't need much from me. I own and run a tea room. A few years ago I decided that the pressures of teaching were too much and decided to start my own business. It's hard work, but incredibly rewarding. I have some fantastic customers and have built a really good reputation in the town. To relax I love to sit down to a delicious home cooked meal and a glass or two of wine while me and my other half put the world to rights. I also really love my family time. Getting all the kids around to play a board game or watch a film is great. Other than that I love to soak in the bath with a good book.

Do you have a work in progress?
I'm currently working on a prequel to "Chasing Butterflies" called "The China Doll". Hopefully readers will gain more empathy for the character Helen who they met in Chasing Butterflies.

What was the most difficult section/piece you ever wrote? What made it difficult?
The most difficult part was writing about the miscarriage. I suffered multiple miscarriages before I conceived my youngest daughter so the emotions conveyed in that part of the book were very real. I had all of these people around me expecting me to pick myself up and brush myself off as though nothing had happened and I just couldn't do that. I wrote about the miscarriage shortly after I suffered my first loss five years ago. I left it for quite some time before revisiting the story. I altered the events and the Character Hope's circumstances were very different to mine. I decided to explore the reasons a person who craved a family of her own might postpone pregnancy until she was almost forty. The story that unfolded started with the miscarriage as a catalist, but ultimately that is not what the story is about. I thought about the events that might have happened in her life to damage her trust in people, especially men. Hope is a very damaged and fragile character, but she also displays a great deal of strength and determination.
What sort of research do you do for your work? - Most of the research was just via google. The book is very character based so it depended mainly on my own imagination. I of course drew on my own experiences too. For my latest novel I have been researching fishing techniques and art courses.

Which books and authors do you read for pleasure? Is there an author that inspires you?
I tend not to read one particular author these days. Mostly I'll look for books by indie authors or just pick something up that I like the look of. I used to be obsessed with Steven King and Dean Koontz, although I had to sleep with the bedroom light on when I had read their books.

Was there a person who encouraged you to write?
I've always had a desire to write. I don't think it came from anyone else. The stories have always been there developing in my mind. At school I used to get told off for daydreaming. I had a few English teachers who praised my writing, I found that encouraging.


CHASING BUTTERFLIES

    Chasing Butterflies is the story of Hope.
It's the story of a girl who is damaged by life. A story about finding love against all odds. It's a story of hidden truths and painful lies.
Thmain character Hope is on the cusp of her fortieth birthday. She has just about got her life together. She is married to Ben who she absolutely adores, she has an amazing job as an architect.
Everything changes following a devastating twist of fate. Hope's life starts to spiral out of control, she is troubled by dreams that remind her of the past she left behind.
Hope returns to the idyllic Cornish village of her childhood to find the answers she needs to find peace.
Will she find the truth is more painful than the lie?

Amazon Link


No comments:

Post a Comment

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/