Sunday, October 11, 2020

Amy Grundy chats about her Copper Ridge Mystery series

  


Welcome to mystery writer Amy Grundy!


I was born and mostly raised in North Carolina, until I moved with my family to Texas. I met my husband here in TX and we have been happily married for over 43 years. We live in the Houston area with our dog Oy, and 4 cats, Niko, Cholula, Rorschach and Echo. I am fortunate to have both my children Heather and Jason and my grandchildren, Giselle, Angel and Isabella all living nearby. After working over 26 years in the nursing field, I retired in 2019. Now I enjoy writing full time. I didn’t start writing cozy mysteries until the spring of 2019 and my first book Murder Down the Hill was released mid – May 2020. Since then, I have released books 2 through 6 in the Copper Ridge Mystery series. Actually, writing was something I never thought I could do. My husband was the person who first encouraged me to try my hand at writing cozy mysteries. I have since discovered that I really enjoy writing and the process of creating characters and their stories.

 

Website: www.amygrundy.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AmyGrundyAuthor/

Instagram: [http://www.instagram.com%3eamygrundyauthor]www.instagram.com>amygrundyauthor

Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/review/list/110874076-amy-grundy

Amazon: www.amazon.com/Amy-Grundy/e/B088X27KLH


 

Tell us about your life outside of writing.

         When I’m not writing I enjoy spending time with my kids and grandkids. (which doesn’t happen as often as I’d like these days, due to covid.) I have always loved reading, thrillers, true crime, traditional mystery and cozy mystery books. Besides reading, my hobbies include working on jigsaw puzzles, playing sudoku and running. I didn’t start running or participate in my first half marathon until I was 52 years old. This just goes to show you that it’s never too late to start a new hobby. Currently I have completed 7 full marathons, 1 ultra-marathon, 1 duathlon and numerous half marathons. And let’s not forget, I always enjoy a good cup of coffee, cappuccino or latte.

 

Do you have a work in progress?

         Yes, currently I am working on Murder At the Manor. This is book 10 in the Copper Ridge Mystery series. Unless I change my plans, this will be the final book in that series. Who knows maybe sometime down the road, I’ll come back and write another follow-up seasonal story.

I am also working on out lining and creating the characters for my next series which will be based around a botanical garden.

 

What was the most difficult section/piece you ever wrote? What made it difficult?

         Alright, I’ll be honest, the most difficult part of the story for me to write is a love scene. When I say love scene, this is only a character kissing her love interest. You’d think this would be easy for me, since I’ve been fortunate enough to be happily married and in a loving relationship for so long. And yes, we met in high school. Maybe I have trouble writing the romantic scenes because I was raised in a private family or maybe that’s just me being insecure with my writing…

 

What sort of research do you do for your work?

         I do research various parts of my stories. The amount of time I spend researching did surprise me when I first started. Whether it’s a google search about poisons, (and yes there have been many) or talking to a friend who may have specialized knowledge in a certain area. I have a friend who is a former deputy sheriff. She answers my questions when necessary. Also, I suppose I’m a visual person. I have created significant backgrounds for my characters, which helps me determine things like how would they feel in certain situations, what are their likes and dislikes, what kind of clothes they would wear. So, I do a lot of searching for just the right photos. As I develop these characters, I find pictures of them, their homes, the town, their pets, clothing for special occasions. I find it easier writing if I have a picture of what I am trying to describe. This helps me to develop a believable character.

 

Which books and authors do you read for pleasure? Is there an author who inspires you?

           Agatha Christie – especially the Hercule Poirot books

           Dorothy Gilman – the Mrs. Pollifax series

Lillian Jackson Braun - the Cat Who series

My other favorite authors include Dean Koontz, Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Kelley Armstrong, Hugh Howey.

I have also recently discovered Steve Higgs. So far, I have only read one of his books in the Patricia Fisher Village Mysteries, but reading his book, made me want to be a better writer. His writing moved the story along and kept my attention. It made me want to become a better writer, and believe that I could.

 

Was there a person who encouraged you to write?

         Definitely, my husband. I never ever would have considered writing a book. In fact, writing wasn’t something that I ever thought I could do. That’s what other people did, not me. I especially didn’t think I could ever write good dialog. He did a little exercise with me while we were in the car together. It was on how to build a story, starting with a single person, then make one decision, then another. He showed me how to build a story one step at a time. It just made me realize that I didn’t have to have the whole story in my head before I began. I just had to get started and then the details would come. He was right and I found out that I really love writing and creating characters.


 

 

Murder on the Stage, A Copper Ridge Mystery - Book 5

Published August 2020

 

Copper Ridge is about to get hit by a storm and a stray cat has decided to take up residence at Emily’s little Craftsman bungalow. Luckily Emily takes her in before the first snowflakes begin to fall.

When the snowstorm turns into an all-out blizzard, Emily, Maggie and Mrs. Smithers become trapped inside the old historic and possibly haunted Gage Hotel. To make matters worse, Emily has started to see ghosts, specifically the ghost of Mr. Gage.

As the storm of the century rages outside, the bodies begin to fall inside. There is nowhere to go and everyone is trapped in the hotel with a murderer. Could the killer be the entitled socialite or someone from the theater group?

Can Emily put the pieces of this latest puzzle together before the roads are cleared and the killer slips away?

 

Read Murder on the Stage, the fifth installment of the Copper Ridge Mystery series. Available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GZK3KW6


 

Murder Down the Aisle, A Copper Ridge Mystery – Book 6

Published September 2020

 

Wedding bells are ringing in Copper Ridge and it’s time for the ‘I do’s.’

Emily and Maggie work hard to make sure everything is set for the big day. The flowers have been ordered and Claudette has made a beautiful wedding cake. Maggie even makes sure Emily has picked out the perfect dress for the day.

But when someone turns up missing, will the wedding go on? More importantly, where did they go?

Things continue to deteriorate when Emily discovers a dead body at the wedding. How could this be happening on the brides most important day? One minute the guests are having a good time, the next police investigators have swarmed the building.

Was the killer the jealous ex-girlfriend or someone else? Will Emily be able to solve this murder?

 

Read Murder Down the Aisle – Book 6 of the Copper Ridge Mystery series. Available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K84RKGC



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/