Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Joan Havelange talks about her mystery novels and upcoming releases

 


Welcome back to Canadian mystery author Joan Havelange! 


Joan Havelange is a Canadian author of three cozy mysteries and lives in a beautiful little town in the prairies, surrounded by hills, valleys, and many lakes.

I’m an avid traveller. Before this pandemic broke out, I was able to travel to over 45 countries. This has helped my writing as I take my protagonists to places I have visited. I follow that old adage, write what you know. I directed little theatre for 15 years. And I find writing is a lot like directing. The difference is my characters show up on time and always know their lines. Although sometimes, they do go off in a direction that surprises me. I began writing romances, but I soon realized I was not the romantic type; murder is my line. My change of genre was the right choice, as my first whodunnit mystery, ‘Wayward Shot,’ was published in 2019.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mabelmysteries

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JoanJhave

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/joanhave/


What would you say are your strengths as an author?

I write good dialogue. My mysteries are fast-paced and fill with humour and twists.

How often do you write, and do you write using a strict routine?

I try to write every day. In the winter, I write for three to four hours in the morning. In the summer, I golf every morning, so my writing takes place in the afternoon.

Five years from now, where do you see yourself as a writer?

Still writing, I don’t expect to get rich; that’s not why I write. I have stories to tell, and I hope the readers will still be enjoying them.

If you could offer one piece of advice to a novice writer, what would it be?

Write a story you want to read.

What would you consider to be the best compliment a reader could give your book?

I can’t wait for your next book. And I didn’t figure it out who dun it

What are you working on now?

I have a new release coming out on October 1st, 2021.

‘The Suspects’

Mable Havelock and Violet Ficher are on a scenic bus tour of the Nordic capital cities of Europe and Russia. The tour culminates in Moscow. Where The tour director is murdered. There is a busload of suspects to choose from. A flirtatious woman and her jealous husband. A professor of Nordic History who is ill-informed. Two world travellers who describe themselves as gypsies, a mysterious man who is hiding something. And the tour director’s assistant and bus driver; both have an axe to grind against the tour director Hilda Karlson. Add to the mix smugglers and thieves. And a case of mistaken identity. But unfortunately, the prime suspect is Mabel. Mabel and Violet will have to use all their skills and ingenuity to solve the murder in Moscow. And prove to the Russian police Mabel’s innocence.

And I’m working on my next whodunit. ‘Murder Exit Stage Right’

 


WAYWARD SHOT

When Mabel slices her golf ball into the town cemetery. She and her best friend Violet think the worst that could happen would be a lost ball. That is until they discover a dead body, and it isn’t six feet under. Mabel’s golf ball lays in the middle of his forehead; it’s murder. The ladies take it upon themselves to solve the mystery of the dead body in the graveyard. Using the information gleaned from Coffee Row, a collection of eccentric townspeople. Leads them to investigate golfers and relatives of the deceased. Their investigation frustrates a newly appointed RCMP officer, who does his best to put a stop to their interference. But nothing stops the intrepid detectives. Not the RCMP, a stampede of cattle or even shots fired at them in the dark. They have an uncanny ability to find trouble and dead bodies. Almost getting themselves killed before solving the murders.

https://books2read.com/Wayward-Shot

 


DEATH AND DENIAL

My next Cozy Mystery took my ladies to Egypt.

On her way to visit Egypt and its ancient past, Mabel Havelock stumbles upon a murder plot. Mabel is trapped on board a boat with a dead body and a boatload of suspects. And in the middle of the Nile River, a passenger disappears. Although language difficulties put her at odds with the lone police officer on board the boat. Mabel is determined to untangle the web of lies and deceit. She will have to use all her wits and ingenuity to solve the murder in the locked cabin.

https://books2read.com/Death-and-Denial

 


THE TROUBLE WITH FUNERALS

My latest mystery was published in 2020

 

 The trouble with funerals is there are too many of them. Mabel's mother is convinced there is something nefarious going on at the senior's condo 'Gravenhurst Manor.' She convinces her daughter to look into the death of her best friend, Mini, who died in suspicious circumstances. If there is a cold, calculating murderer at work. Mabel needs to find the killer before it's too late. Her mother could be next. But what is the motive? Why would anyone want to kill a senior? And Her main suspect has a perfect alibi, namely Mabel.


Her reliable sidekick Violet is no longer reliable. Violet may have gotten herself involved with a con-man. Against the backdrop of the peaceful little town of Glenhaven, Mabel's challenge is to solve the motiveless murders; and save Violet from herself.

https://books2read.com/The-Trouble-With-Funerals

 

1 comment:

  1. Experts recommend traces are detectable in urine for up to 3 days for occasional users and 10 to 15 days for chronic users. However, the catch here is that things can get tricky if you are an extremely heavy user. If you use it multiple times in one day, then chances are the amount can be detected in a urine test for almost 30 days. It is an option that continues to be used by a lot of places for the test. In fact, blood testing has also proven to be the quickest and an absolutely sure-shot way to confirm the presence of THC in a user. States have the right to make faking a pee test a felony or misdemeanor crime and that can mean a fine or even jail time

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/