Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Wayne Sumbler's debut cookbook Sex, Drugs and Pots & Pans


I love it when someone I know personally becomes a first time author! Welcome and Congratulations to Wayne Sumbler on his first of many cookbooks!

Wayne Sumbler was born in the small town of Welland, Ontario, Canada in 1956. His first exposure to rock and roll was watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. His first guitar was an acoustic one that he received as a gift from his parents after having a serious accident by falling from a tree. He then proceeded to a Kent Electric guitar as a gift for Christmas, where he had learned to play his first real songs (surprisingly, that guitar disappeared until a few years ago, as he forgot it was left at a cousin’s home. It sat there for 40 years on a wall, until the cousin was reminded at a funeral that he still had it and Wayne got it back and now restoring it). The first song he learned to play was Love is all around by the Troggs and the second was Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells (Oops, forgot the Monkees). Once he got into his mid and late teens, he purchased a white and black Les Paul guitar. He can still remember the first time that he was able to play Stairway to Heaven (All thanks to Kevin). That was when classic rock became part of his life. Led Zeppelin was his first love. He played in several bands that covered versions of Rush, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Boston, Cream, The Rolling Stones, Bowie, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Queen, Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, Thin Lizzy, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Roxy Music, ZZ Top, and many, many others.

Now to his time as a cook. His mother was Italian, so you know where the genetics come from right? He proceeded to cook at various restaurants for a period of 4 plus years. He has cooked for the family in different locations in the world, picking up recipes as they went along. Singapore, Malaysia, Bali, Japan, England, France, Scotland and their latest, Italy. I really hope you enjoy the recipes he has provided as well as the YouTube links to the various bands. A special thank you goes to Carl as he gave Wayne the inspiration in creating this book. Yes, the author played with him as well, and they still jam quite often. This is a fun book and will provide recipes for every classic rock fan worldwide. Enjoy! Keep on Rockin’ Folks.

https://www.austinmacauley.com/book/sex-drugs-and-pots-pans 

What prompted you to create this book?

A friend of mine who has a band and who I jam with still today had a gig at the Hamilton Legion. My wife and I went to see them play. After a long night and helping as a roadie friend we arrived back at his home around 2am. Being an early morning riser, I went out at a store to get a rockstar pick me up. Got back to their place around 6am or so. Had the drink and cooked like a madman for an hour or so or more. He heard me in the kitchen and said what the heck are you doing? I told him I had so much energy that I started cooking for like 8 people when there were only the four of us. I told him that is what rock star does. He said I should create a cookbook on that.

What was the most difficult part of this project?

The editing process! Really that was the most of all. Re-reading countless times, correct spelling, paragraph. Food photographs were not the biggest thing. It was the entire editing process which really gave me headaches. The editor kept suggesting things which I did not want like band names, band songs, spacing, blank sheets which we were able to take care of. Items missing or in the wrong place.

What is the best part?

The best part was finally seeing it in my hands with covid delays. It would have been out sooner.

Who encouraged you the most to follow through with it?

My friend  Carl who plays in the band Rise Again and still plays. It is really cooking related right. Dough rises. We actually jam quite often today.

What advice would you give to other people who want to write?

Follow your dream and never give up. It took me some time, but if you work hard at it, it will come. Be like a pit bull and fight for everything to realize your dream. It will not be handed on a silver plate for you. And be patient, which is weird, because I am not the most patient person in the world. Being part Italian, patience is not one of my virtues. Sometimes I am, most times I am not. 

Do you have a new book in the works?

I do have a new book I am presently working on. Features my dog instead of me on the cover. He is popular as well as my passenger in my scooter side car, and we can dress him in anything. Photo of him on the kitchen counter with a chef hat on while I was preparing food. He is such a ham. Working title which I now can confirm will be the title. Sex, Drugs and Pots and Paws????? For Ladies only. 

Chapters I have began so far are For Ladies only rock goddesses from the 60's 70's and 80's. Chapter Two. Canadian Eh? classic rock bands that are specifically Canadian only. The bands Toronto, Loverboy, Lee Arron. Prism, Teenage Head, Alanis Morrissette, Rough Trade (Carole Pope). Avril Lavigne, Tragically Hip (steak), Neil Young. Still working on other chapters but keeping it a little shorter this time. Not like a 168 page book, but you never know. A lot of bands I have not covered in the first one. Chapter one will feature, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Heart, Debbie Harry, Linda Ronstadt and others. Maybe this will be another 100 plus page book?

 

SEX, DRUGS and POTS & PANS

Do you love classic rock music and food, and cooking? If so, this is the perfect book for you, your family, and your friends. The greatest songs of the 60s, 70s and 80s combined with the tastiest meals globally all wrapped in one book. Cover to cover, you will rock and roll to your heart's delight.

https://www.austinmacauley.com/book/sex-drugs-and-pots-pans

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Diane. You mean the world to me, helping out and all
    And yes we have read the two books we bought from you. Keep them coming

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/