Sunday, January 30, 2022

Lorna Poplak compares publishing before and during the pandemic.

 

Welcome back to author and member of both Crime Writers of Canada and Sisters In Crime, 

 Lorna Poplak!


Lorna Poplak is a Toronto-based writer, editor, and researcher drawn to the dark side of Canadian history. With a background in law, literature, information technology, and technical communications, Lorna has written medical and scientific articles, travel and historical pieces, children’s literature, blog posts, and a radio play. She is a member of Crime Writers of Canada and Sisters in Crime. Her two nonfiction books, both published by Dundurn Press, are Drop Dead: A Horrible History of Hanging in Canada (July 2017), and The Don: The Story of Toronto’s Infamous Jail (January 2021). The Don was shortlisted for the Ontario Legislature’s 2021 Speaker’s Book Award. 

Website/Blog: http://www.lornapoplak.com/

Facebook:       https://www.facebook.com/LornaPoplakAuthor      

LinkedIn:        https://www.linkedin.com/in/lornapoplak/

Instagram:       https://www.instagram.com/lornapoplak/

Dundurn:         https://www.dundurn.com/authors/Lorna-Poplak

Goodreads:     https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15421614.Lorna_Poplak


You’ve had two nonfiction books published: one before and the other one during the pandemic. Can you compare and contrast the two experiences?

My first book was Drop Dead: A Horrible History of Hanging in Canada, published by Dundurn Press in July 2017. The second one, The Don: The Story of Toronto’s Infamous Jail, also a Dundurn book, came out on January 26, 2021. Exactly one year and four days ago!

Let’s start with the similarities.

Fortunately, when it came to the twin processes of research and writing, nothing much changed. Research-wise, I did most of the “heavy lifting” for The Don in 2019. So, the sources I needed to consult, such as books, journal articles, government documents, and archival newspapers were all readily available. Libraries and archives were open, and I even went to Ottawa on several occasions to consult the case files at Library and Archives Canada, as I had done three years earlier with Drop Dead. Interviews were a bit trickier. I managed to conduct quite a few in-person interviews pre-pandemic. But I was still finishing off the book during the first wave in 2020, and I then had to move to telephonic or email interviews. The actual writing process was virtually the same with both books. I’m not one of those writers who likes working in a coffee shop or some other public place, which would have been out of bounds during the extended lockdowns. I sit at my computer with all my files easily accessible and the internet just a click away whenever I need to verify my facts.


In what way did the two experiences differ?

Promoting and marketing the two books was quite different. Take my book launches, for example. The launch for Drop Dead took place at Ben McNally’s erstwhile book store, a magical space on Bay Street in Toronto. Around 90 people, including a scattering of out-of-towners, braved a huge summer storm to attend. Drinks and snacks were on offer; I spoke briefly; mingled with the attendees; and signed copies of my book. In short, a great vibe, but a very traditional format. With The Don, I had fantasized about having the launch at Toronto’s historic Don Jail, which forms the focus of my book. Well, in early 2021 that was, sadly, no longer an option. It was Zoom or nothing. Fortunately, I have two associates, Cathy Landolt and Tuhin Giri, who helped me choreograph the event. Working within a one-hour time frame, we started with a short virtual tour of the Don Jail from its inception to its present-day repurposing as the administration building of Bridgepoint Active Health. We had two speakers, Dundurn’s Kathryn Lane and Bridgepoint’s former president and CEO, Marian Walsh. Actor and spoken-word poet Kelsi James recited a very moving land acknowledgement. The evening ended with a Q&A between me and my son Richard, who emceed the event from his home base in South Africa. There were well over 120 guests, some of them joining us from afar. The event was recorded, and the spin-off was that each of the individual segments could then be reused for promotional purposes on my website and social media.


Other marketing initiatives also differed radically from the first to the second book. Remember those heady days when we could gather in a public space to present our books (or thoughts) to a live audience? Well, the last in-person event I attended was an amazing 11-author panel at the New Tecumseth Public Library in Tottenham in March 2020 — you were on that panel, too! Since then, most of my marketing has been through my website or social media – my sites of choice are Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. In lieu of public appearances, I’ve done numerous Zoom presentations, generally using PowerPoint featuring a relevant selection of images. In all cases, I’ve used the opportunity to promote local book stores, which is one of my passions.

What has been your take-away from the past couple of years?

What I’ve learned from having to plot my writer’s course through the choppy waters of a global pandemic is that you need to be as creative and flexible as possible, and keep in touch with your community. But being a writer is a very solitary occupation, and I do yearn for the opportunity, once again, to interact with people face-to-face — and, once again, to freely visit libraries and archives for my research. May all of this come about sooner rather than later!

To Buy Lorna's Books:

1 comment:

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/