Saturday, April 23, 2022

Round Robin Blog Fest April 2022

 


Another month, another blog fest! 

This week's topic is: How much reading do you do, both for pleasure and for a work in progress?

I used to read a great deal in pretty much any genre I could get my hands on. As a kid, summertime was spent riding bikes, mowing lawn, or reading. Even when I had kids, I spent time reading – mostly bedtime stories – but also grown up books when I had the time.

As I got more into writing books, most of my reading time has been spent on writing/reading/editing my own books. Then I rediscovered the joy of a good bedtime story!

My bedtime reading is generally only a chapter or two, depending on the book, but I’ve been able to start pulling books off my TBR pile that have been there for years. I’ve also discovered new finds in the bookstore to enjoy rather than just learn. So far over the past few months I've read about:

· women who became empowered by riding motorcycles

· a book about becoming a full-time author

· the Heroine’s Journey as opposed to the Hero’s Journey

· The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho

· The Department of Sensitive Crimes by Alexander McCall Smith

· And a few other obscure books on various topics!

I've also been able to start reading a friend's new book to give a review. It's always fun to read something totally new that hasn't even hit the shelves yet! 

In general, my reading time for pleasure is usually around 15 to 20 minutes a day.

Social media reading time…that I’ve actually cut back in favor of getting other things done.

Length of time for editing and work in progress reading depends on how close my deadline is or what new book I have on the go! Currently, I have one book I’m writing the first draft of and a second one I need to edit. If I have a slow day at work, I’ll do a little during quiet moments. I also like to get a lot done during Write-In meetings as well. Those two hours can fly by when you’re working hard on a new book!

Join our gaggle of talented authors to find out what they’re reading!

Marci Baun http://www.marcibaun.com/blog/ 

Connie Vines http://mizging.blogspot.com/ 

Helena Fairfax http://www.helenafairfax.com/blog 

Skye Taylor http://www.skye-writer.com/blogging_by_the_sea

Dr. Bob Rich https://wp.me/p3Xihq-2yB 

Rhobin L Courtright http://www.rhobincourtright.com




6 comments:

  1. Sadly, it's true that as an author far too much time is soaked up in the researching, writing, editing and alas, marketing our own books. BUT, I still love to read and it shows everywhere in my house. I always read for pleasure when I go to bed and it kind of depends on how tired I am or just how riveting the book is, how long that goes on. Fortunately for me, the days of having to get up to an alarm are long past so if I end up reading until 4 am, I can sleep until 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, your bedtime reading reminds me of the first week or so of my marriage, 55 years ago. I learned with shock that my brand new bride had never heard of Winnie the Pooh, so every night I read her a chapter.
    Oh, your link to my post is a time machine, taking us back to March. The April one is https://wp.me/p3Xihq-2BH
    Have fun!
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family, friends, work, and other obligations and pleasures often absorb more time than reading. Even fifteen minutes a day is a great break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Heroine’s Journey as opposed to the Hero’s Journey. Joseph Campbell and Chris Vogler have provided a excellent map for writing fiction and screenplays. I will look into this publication. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard remembering that we LIKE to read, sometimes. I've got back to it a bit by reading something after lunch every day and setting aside a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon. Always at night before the iight goes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know why I've become anonyomous, see above. this ps is just to say Alexander McCall-Smith kindly became Hon President of Edinburgh Writers' Club following the death of Alanna Knight. anne stenhouse

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/