Saturday, January 21, 2023

Round Robin Blog Fest Jan 21 2023

 

Round Robin Blog Fest Jan 21 2023 

Yeah! We’re back! I hope you and all of my Round Robin friends had a great holiday season and are ready for this great new year. Thank you to Skye for taking charge to keep all these birdies in line and to Marci for the great new logo!!

What is the topic for January 21st?

New Beginnings - how do you motivate yourself to get back to writing when life has interrupted your flow and/or, how do you begin a new writing challenge?

Interesting enough,  I have always found writing has helped me through a lot of interruption in my life. If circumstances block my creativity, I continue to write by journalling. Emptying my mind as Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way likes to call it by using Morning Pages. Having been through some major life changes in the past 7 or 8 years, writing is what has helped me keep my sanity. Kept me moving forward even on days I wanted to quit.

As for beginning a new writing challenge, I find for me the beginnings are always easy. Words and ideas tend to flow and not always when I consciously feel inspired. Sometimes, they seem to come out of nowhere.

·      A lyric from a song

·      A line in a movie or book

·      Something overheard in a conversation

·      A news story

·      A situation or interaction between people on the street

Any of these might set my writer’s brain into a tizzy of words and suddenly a first chapter is born. Then a second. Then a third.

Next thing I know, it’s a novel—or well on its way to being one.

If you've ever read Natalie Goldberg's book, Writing Down the Bones, you'll know how she espouses the joys of writing about anything and everything. "Write what's in front of your nose." I've recently started taking a virtual workshop with her and the very first thing we wrote about was mashed potatoes. For 10 minutes. Imagine what you could do with 15! 


It sounds simple enough but sometimes that novel is born 15 minutes at a time rather than in 2-3 hour blocks. Some days, 15 minutes may be all the clarity or time you have.

Use it.

Give yourself a few moments to escape whatever is going on in your life and take a mini break.

Those 15 minute increments will add up over a few weeks, months, and years.

Suddenly, you’ve written a book.

Just don’t give up!

Shut up. Sit down. And write!

Let's see how the other authors in the blog fest motivate themselves and what advice they have. Feel free to hop from one fantastic author to the next!

Marci Baun                https://www.marcibaun.com/blog

Dr. Bob Rich             https://wp.me/p3Xihq-2OQ

Anne Graham           https://goo.gl/h4DtKv

Connie Vines            http://mizging.blogspot.com/

Diane Bator              https://dbator.blogspot.com/

A.J.  Maguire            http://ajmaguire.wordpress.com/

Victoria Chatham     http://www.victoriachatham.com

Fiona McGuire         http://www.fionamcgier.com/

Skye Taylor              http://www.skye-writer.com/blogging_by_the_sea


 

 

12 comments:

  1. So true about small increments adding up. Also had to chuckle about the mashed potatoes because my first writing assignment in my Junior year English lit class was to write 500 words on an odor. I thought I was doomed. How amazed was I to slog through the assignment and get an A+. And my writing career was born. You really never know what surprising thing will create a spark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, that's very similar to the way ideas come to me. I might even say, they relentlessly chase me, corner me in some odd spot, and then jump into my computer.
    And potatoes are my second favourite vegetable (after chocolate of course).
    :)
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, chocolate!! Okay, Bob, write for 10 minutes about chocolate!

      Delete
  3. I love Writing Down the Bones! It's one of those books that reminds you to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane,

    Excellent advice. This is the second time someone has suggested I set time aside for writing just as I do with swimming. Essentially, it is what you have to do for whatever it is you’re trying to accomplish. Today, it will be cleaning under the sink. (My excitement knows no bounds. LOL) I tried to include my url, but, apparently, it’s invalid. 🤷‍♀️

    I used to participate in this weekly flash fiction contest, but I have done it for a few years now. It was fun and challenging. Perhaps, if it’s still around, I’ll get back to it. Maybe that will bring my mojo back. 😊

    Marci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds fun! Maybe we could use a Round Robin Blog for everyone to showcase a short piece they wrote. We'll get back to that!

      Delete
  5. A novel is born 15 minutes at a time rather than in 2-3 hour blocks. an interesting concept.Diane your posts are always informative and motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a bit like the longest journey starting with a single step. And a good idea. What is it about mashed potatoes? I know several chefs and the smoothness of their mashed potato is an issue. Glad we're back. anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Something overheard in a conversation.' I love this - other peoples' conversations are fascinating. I once stayed on a bus because of the two ladies sat in front of me. I never did here the end of their conversation as they got off one stop before the terminal. On the return trip I came up with various ideas for how it all ended!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't just do 15-minute increments. Once the "flow" gets started, you have to pry me away from my laptop. Conversely, if I know I only have 15 minutes, the "flow" will elude me--believe me, I've tried. We're all different. But good on you if it works for you. And yes, ideas come from everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/