Saturday, April 22, 2023

Round Robin Blog Fest April 2023 - Breathing Life into Your Characters

 


Welcome back!

It's been a while since I was able to join in but this month I thought it would be fun. Our topic for the month is:  Breathing Life into your Characters.

I've been asked in interviews how I create my characters and make them seem like the man or woman next door. That's the fun part of writing a book!

Sometimes I'll base a character on an image I've seen or a person I know or see in my daily life. Most of the time, they just kind of walk right into a story and take on a life all their own. They become the "voices in my head" while I work on the story. Right up to the point where they take control of the whole shebang!

I don't always go into deep detail about appearances of my characters. Not because I don't know what they look like or don't want anyone else to know, but I find it fun for the reader to picture characters for themselves. I've read books where I've forgotten what the main character looked like and had a complete picture in my head, only to read later that I was WAY off on hair color or physique. Not that it matters. I kept my own image and continued on reading!

Of course, characters are made up of more than physical descriptions. Every character is made up of habits, talents, tempraments and so on. A really strong character is neither all good or all bad. They make mistakes. They say the wrong thing at the wrong time. They do their best, just as we all do.

The trick to breathing life into your characters is putting yourself in their shoes. Ask yourself what you think they would do in certain situations. Not what YOU would do. What THEY would do. How they would move, what they would say, how they would get in and out of a situation--good or bad!

As a writer, one way to learn about characters is by reading books written by authors you admire. Make note of how they treat their characters and describe them. Also how they create depth to their personalities and even to their appearances.

Let's see how the rest of the Round Robin Gang breathes life into their characters!

Participating bloggers:

10 comments:

  1. Ah yes, when the characters "take over the whole shebang," and the story takes twists and turns you weren't aware were going to take place! That's the "sweet spot," as an author. That's when you know the characters are leading the way and you're their vessel to get their story out there. I LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this comment is from Fiona McGier. My laptop tells me to block the cookies on this comment section, so I can't comment as my google self. Technology--bleah!

      Delete
    2. The same thing happened to me, Fiona. (Marci here.)

      Delete
  2. In the book I'm currently writing, the hero is from a previous book. Halfway through that earlier book, I realized I needed a character to fill a specific role that I'd not anticipated when I began (Happens when you write by the seat of your pants) And Lucas walked into the scene so completely ready to take over and he captured my imagination. So, of course, now I have to write his story....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your comment 'putting yourself in their shoes.' I have done this, much to the bewilderment of our two cats when I acted out a scene in our living room. It didn't do much for them but did solidfy for me how my character moved around the room I set her in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m hoping this comment goes through. Even though I’ve logged in, Google is blocking me from posting as myself. (This is Marci.)

    By the way, I imagine myself as the character when I’m struggling. When I am in the flow, I am the character. Or it feels that way, even if I’m really more of an observer. In that way, writing is like acting. :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right. A detailed description can actually get in the way of bringing a story to life. Interesting that you can ignore it. Reminds me of what happens in hypnosis. If my induction is not right for you, you can modify it in your mind and it still works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, this is Connie :-). The only time I’ve given minimal physical description to a main character is when I write in the first person. I’ll go back and re-read one of your novels…Enjoyed your post BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Anne I also find it hard to describe characters. I, too, love that moment when you understand the character could not do what the plot wants next - but would do something quite different. Haven't we all enjoyed this topic?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you give hints of what the character looks like but not a lot of details. I always like to form my own view of most characters based on what they say and do. It's fun for the reader to get involved in the story. Our hcaracters speak to us, and we need to listen to them. Judith

    ReplyDelete

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/