Monday, December 25, 2023

A Merry Drama Llama Christmas Featuring Dash Allman and Gumdrop

 


Dashiell Allman—Dash for short—is back! If you didn’t meet her this summer in On Beach Time, Dash loves long walks on the beach, Jimmy Buffet music, and a good mystery, which is why she became a Private Investigator and lives in a cottage on the beach. 

So far Dash has appeared in three short stories in Aconite Cafe Anthologies:
    On Beach Time, in A Beach of a Crime
    Son of a Witch, in A Witch of a Scandal

In Visions of Gumdrop, a story in A Prob-llama of a Holiday, a run in with a llama on the beach leaves Dash shaken and draws her into a whole new mystery! When a goat goes missing from a petting zoo at the Christmas Market and other items are stolen, she begins to dig into the crime – Gumdrop, the drama llama as a sidekick. As soon as Dash can figure out how to get Gumdrop to stop spitting at her and fainting!

Visions of Gumdrop

By Diane Bator

 Jimmy Buffett had just started crooning about Christmas in Hawaii when I got a text urging me to “Stay indoors until further notice. Escaped animal on the loose.”

My stomach lurched and I shot a quick reply to the sender, my on-again off-again boyfriend, Rob Gwynn who was a local police officer. “What kind of animal?”

I didn’t wait for a reply. It was the last Saturday morning before Christmas and the local market would be in full swing in fifteen minutes. No way was I missing it. I had shopping to do. Besides, no one would be dumb enough to transport a dangerous creature this close to a populated beach, would they?

I opened my front door anyway. After looking both ways for large, furry beasts and witches on rollerblades, then stepped into the sunshine and locked the front door of my beach cottage-slash-office. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve been a curious cat, which made me an ideal detective. Not the best one money could buy, but definitely in the top one hundred on the coast.

Definitely, the only one with the oddball name of Dash.

The joke in my family was that my mom fell in love with Dashiell Hammett at first sight, which made child hood rough for the little girl she named Dashiell Allman. Not funny. Although, the nickname Dash did make me feel faster when I ran. People tended to call me out of curiosity since my name made me sound like a strong, male detective.

Once they met me in person — a short, blonde, beach bum usually sporting a cast of some sort — some ran. Most laughed. A few took pity on me.

Crossing the beach, I aimed for the wet sand where the waves could caress my toes on my way to Ricardo’s food truck. I woke up craving a Breakfast Dog. My growling stomach finally got the best of me as I’d finished the paperwork from my last case. Visions of cheese, a hot dog, a hashbrown, tomato, bacon, and a fried egg, over easy had danced through my head for the past hour.

The air was a bit cooler than earlier in December. A reminder that I still needed to pick up gifts for my two favorite police officers.

Rob Gwynn, aka Officer Athletic and my current boyfriend, was big into action movies, working out, and muscle cars. I still wasn’t sure what to get him.

Alex Carson, his partner and the man I’d called Officer Pasty for years, was easier. He was a foodie who loved to cook. A couple of weeks ago, I’d discovered a great booth at the market that sold homemade spices and rubs. I’d finally decided which ones to get him and planned to hit the market. Right after breakfast.

Something wet brushed against the back of my right shoulder. I brushed it off like a bug. Then it tapped me again.

“Very funny, Rob,” I said as I stopped to turn around. “What the…?”

My jaw dropped and my eyes grew wide as I came face to face with an elongated nose attached to a furry creature that looked like a cross between a horse and a tall sheep.

Its nostrils flared before phlegm hit me square in the chest. Then it yelled “Mwah!” and collapsed into the sand.

“What the flying fig just happened?” I took a couple steps back.

“What did you do to it?” a familiar voice asked.

On cue, Rob and Alex loped across the beach, more concerned about the creature than the fact I’d been accosted.

I held up my hands in protest. “Nothing. It just fell over. I don’t even know what it is.”

“It’s a llama, Dash,” Alex told me with a chuckle. “Didn’t you learn anything in school?”

Scowling at the two-hundred and fifty pound officer, I shook my head. “I’ve seen pictures of them, but I’ve never looked one in the nostrils before. What’s it doing on the beach?”

Rob looped a rope around its neck, flinching when the llama rolled away from him to sit in the sand. “It’s part of the petting zoo at the market today. While the farmer was unloading the animals, this little guy escaped.”

“Little? That thing’s a full head taller than you and smells like a barnyard.”

He grinned, petting the creature like an overgrown dog. “Aww, did the grumpy detective scare you, Gumdrop?”

“Ha. The grumpy detective nearly peed her pants.” I took one last look at the llama. If I were a social media-type person, I would’ve taken pictures. No one in my family would believe I came face to face with a llama, let alone one that fainted on the spot.

For everyone else who knew me, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise.

As Gumdrop rose to her cloven feet, I backed away. “Seems like you two have this well in hand. I’m going for breakfast.”

“Let me guess,” Rob said. “A breakfast dog?”

“You got it.”

Alex groaned. “Oh, Dash, those things are heart attacks on a bun. You need to stay away from them.”

“Maybe, but they’re tasty.” Turning away, I continued up the beach only to hear a commotion behind me. I refused to help. They were on their own with the stinky, shaggy beast.

“Look out, Dash!” Alex shouted.

I spun around in the sand only to end up nose to nose with Gumdrop once more. It spit at me again. The llama had good aim. Loogie number two landed right beside the first one.

“Seriously?” I yelled.

Gumdrop dropped to the sand.

I pointed to the drama llama. “That’s exactly what happened the first time.”

Before Rob could take hold of the rope dangling from the creature’s neck, a group of men strode toward us. Two more police officers. A man in an elf costume. A thin guy wearing jeans, a red nose, and a plaid shirt. A large Santa whose padding had shifted to the right of his belly. Bringing up the rear was a man in denim overalls and a torn t-shirt, likely the farmer.

“Oh goodie. Backup. Have fun. I’m outta here.” I announced as the llama sat up and spit at me again.

Shaking my head, I aimed for Ricardo’s food truck near the pier. Drama llamas were not my thing. With no clients on my schedule, I looked forward to a much needed day off.

Like what you read? Buy your copy of A Prob-llama of a Holiday and laugh all the way through the book!

https://www.amazon.ca/Prob-Llama-Holiday-Mystery-Tribe-Anthology-ebook/dp/B0CNM4FKWJ/

https://www.amazon.com/Prob-Llama-Holiday-Mystery-Tribe-Anthology-ebook/dp/B0CNM4FKWJ/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/